The Department aims to:
- help pupils enjoy mathematics and provide a rewarding experience.
- develop oral, written and practical mathematical knowledge and skills in a manner which encourages confidence.
- read mathematics and write and talk about the subject in a variety of ways.
- develop a feel for number, make calculations and understand the significance of the results obtained.
- apply mathematics in everyday situations and across the curriculum.Solve problems, present solutions clearly, check and interpret the results.
- develop the abilities to reason logically, to classify, to generalise and to prove.
- recognise that a situation may be presented mathematically, identify and interpret relevant mathematical factors.
- use mathematics as a means of communication with emphasis on the use of clear expression.
- develop qualities of co-operation and flexibility.