The History Department aims to:
- develop in young people a knowledge and understanding of people – what motivates them, what they think and how they feel.
- empower pupils to become thinking citizens of the twenty-first century by learning to defend their views in class while listening and responding to opposing ideas.
- enable pupils to become good communicators. Good historians have to argue their case orally and on paper.
- develop the skills necessary to carry out historical enquiry.
- stimulate and maintain pupil interest in the past.
- develop skills of critical thinking.